Last modified: August 26, 2015
Efficiency Maine Trust (“Efficiency Maine” or “We”) respects your privacy and is committed to taking steps to protect your personal information.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.efficiencymaine.com (our “Website”) or any of our social media channels, and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we may collect from you or that you may provide in connection with your use of our Website or our social media channels. It does not apply to information collected by us offline or to information collected online or offline by any other entity, whether or not that entity is associated with Efficiency Maine.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including:
- Personal information that you provide to us, which may include your name, postal address, phone number or e-mail address; and
- Information that is collected automatically as you navigate through our Website, which may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide to Us. The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. In order to take advantage of Efficiency Maine programs or incentives, you may be asked to submit personal information (such as your name, address, phone number, or e-mail address).
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Comments or other content that you upload or post to our Website or social media channels (your “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
As you navigate through and interact with our Website or visit our social media channels, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and web navigation patterns. Your browser communicates standard information when you use our Website, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address and the files you request. This information is not tied to your personal information and is used only in aggregate form, unless you choose to supply Efficiency Maine with additional information as part of your visit (such as filling out an online form). The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies – Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. To learn how you can manage your Flash cookie settings, visit the Flash player settings page on Adobe’s website at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html.
- Web Beacons – Pages of our Website and our e-mail messages may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that allow us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide information.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any programs or transactions entered into between you and us.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Efficiency Maine may also use information that we collect about you for uses such as the following:
Email Marketing. If you provide us with your e-mail address, we may contact you about our programs and services that may be of interest to you. You may unsubscribe from Efficiency Maine marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom our emails.
Disclosure of Your Information
Efficiency Maine may disclose aggregated information about its users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction. For example, we may share anonymized or aggregated information with government agencies or non-commercial researchers.
- To authorized Efficiency Maine employees in order to provide you with any services you have requested.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- Or for other purposes where you have given your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- When disclosure is demanded through valid legal process, such as through a warrant or subpoena. Users are notified after disclosure of the demanded information unless such notification is precluded by court order or other law.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Efficiency Maine, our customers and program participants, or others.
Public Disclosure. Although Efficiency Maine is an independent trust, it is also an instrumentality of the State of Maine, and as such, information and records of Efficiency Maine may be subject to Maine’s Freedom of Access Act (“FOAA”). Under FOAA, unless specifically protected from disclosure, any information provided may be inspected by the public or disclosed. Please refer to 1 M.R.S.A. Chapter 13 and 35-A M.R.S.A. § 10106 for more information on public records and under what circumstances information may be released.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Email Lists. You may unsubscribe from Efficiency Maine marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails.
If you do not want us to use or disclose the personal information you provide to us (by filling out forms on our Website or by contacting us), you may choose not to provide us with such information. Please note that if you choose not to provide us with your personal information, you might not be able to take advantage of the programs and services we offer.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may contact us at the address listed below to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may refuse to accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Website, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Website users.
We know how important your personal information is to you and we take our responsibility to safeguard any personal information you provide to us seriously. To protect personally identifiable information that we collect, we have instituted physical, electronic, and managerial measures to guard against unauthorized access to your information or unauthorized disclosure of that information.
While we make reasonable attempts to protect the personally identifiable information that you share with us, no transmission over the Internet is ever 100% secure, nor is information stored electronically 100% immune from attack, so we cannot guaranty the security of information you may provide to us.
Transactions involving sensitive information occur on a secure server. You can look for the “lock” symbol at the bottom of your browser window to verify that you are on a secure server. Our secure socket layer (SSL) software uses state-of-the-art 128-bit encryption to reduce the risk that your personal and financial information can be intercepted during transmission to our server.
Children under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. Efficiency Maine does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.
Links to Third-party Websites
Our Website may contain links to various other websites that are not owned or operated by Efficiency Maine. These other sites may have privacy policies that differ from Efficiency Maine’s privacy policies. Efficiency Maine is not responsible for content or policies regarding third-party websites, and Efficiency Maine does not monitor the accuracy of information found in third-party websites. Links to third-party websites do not constitute an endorsement or implied warranty by Efficiency Maine.