For heat pumps installed on or before 11/7/2023
Tens of thousands of heat pumps have been installed in homes and businesses across Maine. They are the most popular heating system across all of Efficiency Maine’s rebates because they offer highly efficient heating, air conditioning, and dehumidification. Click here to find a contractor near you.
Incentives up to $3,800
- Federal Tax Credit up to $2,600 – Click here for details.
- Heat pumps up to $2,000
- 200+ amp circuit panels up to $600
- Efficiency Maine Rebates up to $1,200
- Tier 1 heat pumps
- $400 for 1st indoor unit
- $200 for 2nd indoor unit
- Tier 2 heat pumps
- $800 for 1st indoor unit
- $400 for 2nd indoor unit
- Lifetime limit is two indoor unit rebates per housing unit (dedicated kitchen, sleeping area, and bathroom)
- Tier 1 heat pumps
Efficiency Maine Rebate Eligibility
- Tier 1 heat pumps must have an AHRI rating equal to or greater than any of the following:
- 9.5 HSPF2
- 10.0 HSPF for systems with multiple indoor units or a ducted indoor unit
- 12.0 HSPF for systems with a single indoor unit
- Tier 2 heat pumps:
- Home does not have natural gas utility account, and
- Must have an AHRI rating equal to or greater than 10.4 HSPF2 or 12.5 HSPF
Regardless of which indoor unit is installed, if an outdoor unit has any indoor/outdoor combination with a qualifying HSPF/HSPF2 efficiency rating in the AHRI database, then the installed combination qualifies for a rebate.
- Homeowner of any income
- Installed in a:
- 1- to 4-unit residential building located in Maine (for upgrades completed before 8/1/2023)
- single-family, duplex, or condominium located in Maine (for upgrades completed 8/1/2023 or after)
- Rebated heat pumps used throughout entire heating season.
- Click here for all other building types.
- Residential Registered Vendor for heat pumps
- Installed according to the Heat Pump Installation Requirements Checklist
Rebate claim form emailed or postmarked within six months of project completion
Energy Loan Eligible?
- Yes. Click here for more details
How to Get a Rebate
- Hire a Residential Registered Vendor
- Complete upgrade
- Submit rebate claim form
- Receive rebate check in mail
Terms and Conditions
Only one rebate will be paid for any given upgrade. Efficiency Maine does not warrant the performance of rebated upgrade. Program and incentives subject to change or termination. Please allow six weeks for rebate processing. Incomplete information may delay or disqualify your rebate. Efficiency Maine reserves the right to verify installation and perform an inspection.