Office buildings require significant energy in order to maintain comfortable and productive working environments. Energy-efficient systems and equipment can help landlords and tenants reduce energy costs, enhance comfort, and improve safety. Efficiency Maine offers incentives for a wide range of technologies for upgrading office buildings.
Benefits of Efficient Office Upgrades
How Landlords Can Benefit
Landlords can make energy-saving decisions by upgrading their building’s HVAC, interior and exterior lighting, and water heating systems. These high-efficiency upgrades provide multiple benefits such as:
- Lower operating costs
- Enhanced marketability of the building
- Tenant satisfaction
How Tenants Can Benefit
Tenants can also reap the benefits of energy-efficiency with solutions including LED lighting and high-efficiency office equipment. Some of the benefits include:
- Lower energy, water, and operating costs
- Enhanced comfort and improved productivity
Heating, Cooling and Ventilation
According to an Efficiency Maine analysis, HVAC systems account for 22% of the electricity use in the average Maine office building. Landlords can significantly reduce electricity use and HVAC costs by upgrading these systems. Efficiency Maine offers incentives to upgrade to high-efficiency systems:
- Ductless Heat Pumps
- Boilers and Furnaces
- Variable Refrigerant Flow Systems
- HVAC Controls
High-efficiency water heating systems can reduce water-heating costs and provide hot water when you need it
Reduce overall water heating costs by upgrading to high-efficiency water heating systems and the system that is right for your building. Efficiency Maine offers incentives for:
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
LED lighting solutions are energy- and cost-efficient and can result in a more productive and comfortable environment
Indoor and outdoor lighting account for 23% of the electrical use in the average Maine office building. By upgrading lighting systems, tenants and landlords can reduce electricity costs while improving comfort and productivity in their offices. Efficiency Maine offers incentives on energy-efficient lighting solutions:
- Exterior Lighting
- Interior Lighting
- Lighting Controls
Ready to upgrade your facility with high-efficiency equipment and appliances? Work with an Efficiency Maine Qualified Partner in order to be eligible for these incentives. Click here to find a Qualified Partner working near you. If you work with a contractor that is not yet a Qualified Partner, urge your contractor to find out more information here.
Additional Information and Resources
• Don’t see your energy solution listed above? Efficiency Maine offers incentives for custom energy solutions. Click here for more information on the Custom Program.
• Learn about energy-efficient office equipment on the Energy Star website. ENERGY STAR certified products such as computers, copiers and printers utilize 30-75% less electricity than standard equipment
• Consider a “Green Lease.” Landlords and tenants who are interested in upgrading their buildings or offices may want to consider a green or energy-performance lease. Green or performance leases reflect energy savings from high-efficiency systems and can distribute the costs and benefits of the upgrades between tenants and landlords. Learn more and see a sample of a performance lease here.