Multifamily buildings in Maine can range from two-family homes to multi-story apartment buildings. This page is primarily a resource for larger multifamily buildings with five or more units. Energy-efficient systems and equipment can help landlords and tenants reduce energy costs, enhance comfort and improve safety. Efficiency Maine offers incentives for a wide range of efficiency measures.
If you have a smaller multifamily building, click here to learn about available incentives through Efficiency Maine’s residential programs.
Benefits of Multifamily Upgrades
How Landlords Benefit
Landlords can save energy by upgrading heating, cooling and ventilation systems; interior and exterior lighting; water heating; and the building envelope. These efficiency upgrades can result in multiple benefits such as:
- Lowered operating costs
- Greater tenant satisfaction
- Greater equipment reliability
- Reduced maintenance and replacement costs for lighting
- Reduced vacancy
How Tenants Benefit
Tenants can also reap the benefits of energy efficiency by choosing LED bulbs, high-efficiency appliances and heating systems. Some of the benefits include:
- Lower energy costs
- Enhanced comfort
Heating, Cooling and Ventilation
There are efficient options for whole-building solutions, such as high-efficiency boilers or HVAC controls, and individual apartment systems, such as ductless heat pumps. Efficiency Maine offers incentives to upgrade to high-efficiency heating, cooling, and ventilation systems including:
- Ductless Heat Pumps
- HVAC Controls and Demand Control Ventilation
- Boilers and Furnaces
- Variable Refrigerant Flow Systems (new construction)
High-efficiency water heating can reduce operating costs and energy use
Reduce overall water heating costs by upgrading to high-efficiency water heating systems. Efficiency Maine offers incentives for:
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
High-efficiency lighting systems can reduce cost and improve visibility
Tenants and landlords can reduce electricity costs while improving quality of light and safety by upgrading lighting systems. Efficiency Maine offers incentives on energy-efficient lighting solutions:
- Exterior Lighting (security and parking lot lighting)
- Interior Lighting
- Lighting Controls
- Screw-in bulbs
Appliances, lighting, and electronics account for 30% of the typical household’s energy consumption, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Upgrading to high-efficiency appliances can help reduce apartment energy usage. Find out more about how much you might save by switching to high-efficiency appliances on the ENERGY STAR® webpage. Efficiency Maine offers incentives for:
- Clothes Washers
- Room Air Purifiers
Multifamily buildings can also benefit from building envelope upgrades including air sealing and insulation. Improving the efficiency of the envelope can reduce heating and cooling costs and increase tenant comfort.
Other Energy Saving Tips
Landlords and tenants who want more energy saving tips and ideas click here.
- Ready to upgrade your multifamily building with high-efficiency equipment and appliances? Work with an Efficiency Maine Qualified Partner in order to be eligible for these incentives.
- Click here to find a Qualified Partner working near you. If you work with a contractor that is not yet a Qualified Partner, urge your contractor to find out more information here.
Additional Information and Resources
- Don’t see your energy solution listed above? Efficiency Maine offers incentives for site-specific energy solutions such as custom HVAC solutions. Click here for more information on the Custom Program.