Geothermal heat pumps, also called ground source heat pumps, take advantage of the constant temperature of the ground below the frost line to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. Efficiency Maine offers a $3,000 rebate for qualifying geothermal heat pumps. Click here for more information on this technology. Click here to learn more about the 30% uncapped federal tax credit for geothermal heat pumps. Click here to find a contractor near you.
- 1/3 project cost up to $3,000 rebate
- Lifetime limit is one geothermal rebate per housing unit (dedicated kitchen, sleeping area, and bathroom)
- Homeowners of any income
- Installed in a:
- 1- to 4-unit residential building located in Maine (for upgrades completed before 8/1/2023). Larger buildings, including 5 or more attached condominiums, are not eligible.
- single-family, duplex, or condominium located in Maine (for upgrades completed 8/1/2023 or after)
- Building is principal, year-round residence for occupants, NOT a seasonal, second, or vacation home
- Installed in primary living area, not a garage or outbuilding
Rebate claim form emailed or postmarked within six months of project completion
Energy Loan Eligible?
- Yes. Click here for details.
How to Get a Rebate
- Hire a Residential Registered Vendor
- Complete upgrade
- Submit rebate claim form
- Receive rebate check in mail
Terms and Conditions
Only one rebate will be paid for any given upgrade. Efficiency Maine does not warrant the performance of rebated upgrade. Program and incentives subject to change or termination. Please allow six weeks for rebate processing. Incomplete information may delay or disqualify your rebate. Efficiency Maine reserves the right to verify installation and perform an inspection.