Efficiency Maine offers a variety of home energy loans to help you pay for energy upgrades. Maine homeowners can borrow up to $15,000 over 10 years with no fees and interest rates as low as 4.99% APR.
- Homeowners of any income
- Minimum credit score depending on loan type
- Maximum debt-to-income ratio depending on loan type
- Single-family home, condominium, or 2-4 unit multifamily building
- Building is principal, year-round residence for occupants, NOT a seasonal, second, or vacation home/rental
- Located in Maine
- Required: an upgrade eligible for a Home Energy Savings Program rebate
- Optional: Solar PV
- Optional: health and safety measures if necessary to complete the upgrade. Not to exceed 25% of the loan. For example:
- moisture/radon mitigation before air sealing
- vermiculite removal before insulation
- knob and tube wiring removal before insulation
- leaky roof repairs before attic insulation
- chimney lining before boiler/furnace replacement
- electrical panel upgrade before heat pump installation
- While funds are available. Loans have been available since 2011.
- Credit approval – Apply online or by phone (866-376-2463). You’ll be notified if additional documentation is required.
- Project approval – Mail or email a Loan Work Scope Formwith a quote from an Efficiency Maine Residential Vendor If the project is eligible for a loan, you’ll receive a Truth in Lending form showing the exact loan amount, payments, etc.
- Closing documents – Sign and mail (no emailing) the Truth in Lending form.
- Final approval – We’ll send you a Completion Certificate to submit when you’re done. At this point, your loan is approved.
- Upgrade – Complete the energy upgrade.
- Rebate – Submit your rebate claim form. Within six weeks we’ll mail a rebate check to you or your Registered Vendor, whichever you choose.
- Loan payout – Mail or email us your signed Completion Certificate. We’ll send the loan amount to your Registered Vendor.
Terms and Conditions
No limit on the number of homes or loans. Maximum outstanding balance of $15,000 per borrower. Only one check per loan. No down payments or advances. Program is subject to change without notice. Incomplete information may delay or disqualify your loan.