Fun to drive. Less costly to operate. Cleaner for the environment. Drivers in Maine and around the world are making the switch to electric vehicles (EVs) for these reasons and more.
Types of Electric Vehicles
Electric vehicles can be solely powered by an electric motor with a battery (a Battery Electric Vehicle or BEV) or by a combination of both an electric motor and a gas engine (a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle or PHEV).
|Battery Range||Total Range*||Fuel Source|
|Battery Electric Vehicle||100-300 miles||100-300 miles||Electricity only|
|Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle||15-60 miles||200-600 miles||Electricity and Gas|
* Combined electric and gasoline range.
Many electric vehicle owners charge at home and charging stations are available at more and more places in Maine. Click here for more information on electric vehicle charging at home and around Maine.
- Driver satisfaction – Quick acceleration and a quiet drive.
- Save time and money – The cost of using electricity to power your car is less than the cost of gas. So skip all those trips to the gas station and pocket the savings. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, it costs about one-third as much to drive an electric vehicle as a conventional gasoline vehicle.
- Reduced maintenance – Electric vehicles have simpler engines, requiring fewer annual repairs compared to cars with internal combustion engines and BEVs require no oil changes.
- Cleaner – Fewer emissions and pollutants from your drive. A typical gasoline vehicle emits more than five tons of carbon dioxide per year. That’s more than four times as much carbon emissions as an electric vehicle using power from the New England grid.*
- Energy independence – Reduce fuel dependence and exposure to fossil fuel price volatility.
*Calculations based on the EPA’s latest fuel economy and emission rate data for passenger vehicles, consistent with its regulatory work. Electric grid emissions data sourced from the 2017 ISO New England Electric Generator Air Emissions Report.
Electric Vehicle Rebates
Efficiency Maine offers instant rebates for eligible battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) at participating Maine car dealers. Eligible BEVs and PHEVs purchased direct from a manufacturer are eligible for mail-in rebates.
- Click here to find out more about instant rebates for eligible electric vehicles. Qualifying low- and moderate-income Mainers, Maine governmental entities, tribal governments, and select non-profits can receive enhanced rebates up to $7,500.
- EV Tax Credits and Other Incentives:
- Federal Tax Credit: Find current information about the federal tax credit (up to $7,500) for electric vehicles.
- Additional instant rebates from car manufacturers may be available. Check with your local EV dealer for more information.