On May 1, 2022, Efficiency Maine launched the Hospitality Retrofits Initiative to install energy efficiency upgrades at qualifying restaurants, hotels, motels, inns, and bed and breakfasts.
The Hospitality Retrofits Initiative will be used to reduce consumption of heating oil and propane, primarily by switching heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to high-performance heat pump systems. Other eligible conservation projects in the initiative will include LED lighting and refrigeration upgrades.
The first FON prioritized smaller, local businesses in the hospitality, travel and tourism sector. This opportunity was available between May 1, 2022 and May 1, 2023. Subsequent FONs applying different incentives, requirements, and criteria may be issued over the course of the initiative.
Eligible Business Types and Facilities
For the first FON of this initiative, eligible businesses were be limited to:
- hotels, motels, inns, and bed and breakfasts that:
- have fewer than 100 beds,
- are located in Maine, and
- are not franchisees of, or owned by, a national or international chain
- restaurants in Maine that are not franchisees of, or owned by, a national or international chain
In addition to the limitation on franchisees and chains noted above, rental homes, Airbnb lodging, camps, cabins, cottages, and non-permanent structures were not eligible through the first opportunity (but may qualify for other incentives offered through Efficiency Maine; click here for more information).
Eligible Energy Retrofits
For the first FON, incentives were available for:
- high-performance heat pump systems – with a focus on buildings that currently use heating oil or propane for heating and that operate through the winter months
- LED retrofit lighting
- refrigeration projects
Detailed incentive information on the qualifying equipment for specific FONs will be listed as those opportunities become available.
For More Information:
Call Efficiency Maine’s toll-free call center at (207) 213-6247 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.