How to use your Ductless Heat Pump
Tens of thousands of Mainers who have installed ductless heat pumps invested in a high-efficiency ductless heat pump in order to maximize their savings. These high-efficiency models run more efficiently and provide more heat at lower temperatures. If you’ve invested in a ductless heat pump, we’d like to share a few tips on how you can maximize your savings:
- Use it – Heat pumps provide one of the most cost-effective ways to heat Maine homes. Now that you have one, try to use it as your primary heating source. The more you rely on it, the more you’ll save.
- Keep indoor unit filters clean – Heat pumps work best when their dust ¬filters are clean. Rinse them whenever they become visibly dirty or when the indicator light comes on. Consult your user manual for information on how to clean your filters.
- Keep the outdoor unit unobstructed – Make sure the outdoor unit remains clear of snow drifts and shrubs. Likewise, remove any leaves that get stuck on it. Be careful not to bend the radiator fins when picking leaves off but don’t worry about snow and ice. Heat pumps automatically defrost themselves.
- Maximize the heating/cooling zone – To maximize your savings, try opening doors between the heat pump and any rooms you’d like to heat or cool.
- Set it and forget it – Heat pumps don’t work like conventional heating systems. Turning the temperature down when you’re away or asleep won’t necessarily save energy. They save the most when allowed to maintain a constant temperature 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pick a comfortable temperature – You may find you need to set your heat pump at a different temperature than your traditional heating system. Set it for comfort rather than the temperature you usually set for your other heating system.
- Avoid “Auto” mode – Set your heat pump mode to “Heat” in the winter and “Cool” in the summer. We recommend avoiding the “Auto” setting. Auto mode could result in mid-winter air conditioning or mid-summer heating.
We hope these tips help you maximize the benefit of your ductless heat pump. For information, click here.