Energy Efficiency Rebates
- The Multifamily Efficiency Program offers building owners rebates to install energy efficiency measures in Maine’s multifamily buildings.
- Properties with 5 or more apartments per building are eligible to participate.
- All income levels, including affordable housing units and market rate units, can participate.
- The program is not restricted by fuel type.
- To be eligible for rebates, upgrades must be installed or overseen by a Program Partner, Registered Vendor or Qualified Partner.
|Measure||Eligibility Criteria||% Cap
(of installation cost)
|1.||Ductless Heat Pumps||Single-zone: HSPF ≥ 12.0 BTU/Wh
Multi-zone: HSPF ≥ 10.0 BTU/Wh
$1,000/3 or more zone units
|2.||Boilers & Furnaces||All fuels.
Click here for details.
|3.||Boiler Controls *||Outdoor reset controls. Condensing boiler installations not eligible.||50%||$125/control|
|4.||Programmable Thermostats *||Automatic set-back, programmable and “smart” thermostats are eligible.||50%||$50/thermostat|
|5.||Water Heaters||ENERGY STAR® Any fuel.
Fuel switch to electric resistance not allowed.
|6.||Air Sealing *||≥10% reduction in CFM50 air leak test||50%||$100/apt|
|7.||Insulation: Attic/Roof *||Any type. Air sealing must also be done for loose fill insulation.||50%||$200/apt|
|8.||Insulation: Wall *||Any type. Air sealing must also be done for fiberglass insulation. Moisture issues must be addressed.||50%||$200/apt|
|9.||Insulation: Floor/Basement *||Any type. Air sealing must also be done for fiberglass insulation. Moisture issues must be addressed.||50%||$200/apt|
|10.||Low Flow Devices *||≤2.0 gpm shower heads ≤1.5 gpm aerators||50%||$10/apt|
|11.||Lighting: Replacement Fixtures||Click here for details.||50%||$10–$275/
|12.||Lighting: Control/Sensors||Click here for details.||50%||$30-$60/
|13.||Smart Pump with ECM Motor *||50%||$200/pump|
|14.||Custom Project *||Total energy savings ≥ 20%||50%||$500/apt|
* Not available for new construction or gut/rehab renovations.
Custom projects require an energy audit, pre-approval, and post-installation inspection. All energy savings measures included in a Custom project must meet the efficiency criteria of each prescriptive measure.
Learn about incentives for 1-4 unit buildings.