5 Reasons to Check Out a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Are you looking for a smooth, quiet ride that will save you money on fuel and maintenance and also reduce carbon emissions? If so, read on to find out why a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) might be the right choice for you.
- Long range – Want the benefits of a battery electric vehicle (BEV) without worrying about running out of charge? With a hybrid engine and a rechargeable battery, PHEVs function as fully electric vehicles in some conditions and hybrid vehicles in others. Most PHEVs have more than 400 miles of combined electric and gasoline range. That’s more than enough for both daily commutes and long road trips.
- Variety of choices – There’s a wide variety of PHEV models to choose from. Efficiency Maine offers $1,000 instant rebates on 13 eligible PHEVs, with new models on the way, such as the Ford Escape PHEV and the Hyundai Tuscon PHEV. Some PHEVs are plug-in versions of popular gasoline and hybrid cars, such as the Prius Prime and the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. From sedans to minivans to SUVs, there are PHEVs for all tastes and driving styles.
- Environmental benefits – PHEVs offer many of the same environmental benefits as BEVs. Many PHEVs get more than 100 MPGe, or miles per gallon equivalent, when driving in all-electric mode. Consider that the average Mainer commutes 24 miles per day. Given that a lot of PHEVs have more than 25 miles of all-electric range, there’s a good chance you will have enough electric range to cover your daily driving needs. By coordinating your trip length and charging times, you could eliminate nearly all tailpipe emissions from your daily driving. Alternatively, when operating in hybrid mode, some PHEV models get more than 40 MPG. Switching to a PHEV from a gasoline vehicle could help significantly lower your carbon footprint. And isn’t that a good feeling?
- Easy refueling – With a PHEV, you can refuel just about anywhere. Charge at home overnight, plug into a local Level 2 charger, or fill up at a gas station. Like a BEV, if you charge at home overnight, most of the time you’ll never need to use a public charger. Other than the 10 seconds it takes to plug in your PHEV at home, and the infrequent trip to the gas station, you will rarely have to think about refueling.
- Flexibility – The benefits of PHEVs can be summed up in one word: flexibility. Most days, you only need enough electric range to take care of your daily driving needs. But when you want to take a weekend road trip to Bar Harbor or Millinocket, a PHEV has the range to get you there, and the fuel economy to make it worth your while. With a PHEV, you have the flexibility to choose how and where to refuel.
Fun to drive. Less costly to operate. Cleaner for the environment. Drivers in Maine and around the world are making the switch to EVs for these reasons and more. Learn more about EVs and how to take advantage of our $1,000 instant rebate for PHEVs — and the $2,000 instant rebate for BEVs — at www.efficiencymaine.com/ev/