Efficiency Maine’s Energy Storage System (ESS) Program Opportunity Notice (PON) offers performance based incentives for the deployment of energy storage systems during summer peak demand conditions.
All demand metered customers (commercial, nonprofits, institutions and government) are eligible to participate.
Eligible projects must be interconnected behind the facility utility meter and must be located in Maine with a Maine electric utility account. Awarded incentives will be based on the amount of facility electric load (kW) that the proposed system can reduce during summer peak demand hours. Additionally, awarded systems must:
- Be approved by the Trust prior to installation.
- Be at least 20 kW.
- Maintain a minimum 80% round-trip efficiency.
- Be able to collect and transmit 15-minute interval data.
- Carry a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
- Be UL-listed or certified by another nationally recognized testing lab.
- Systems configured for grid export.
- Participants without the required interval metering and data transmission capability.
- Facilities not located in Maine or served by a Maine electric utility.
- Residential and small business customers.
Incentives awarded through this PON will be paid each fall for 5 years following an annual evaluation of the project’s performance. Additionally, incentives will be subject to the following limitations:
- $200 per kW of validated reduction in grid supplied power.
- Incentives will be on average load reduction achieved for fifteen (15) dispatches during summer peak demand conditions.
- Incentive awards will be at least $4,000 and not more than $600,000 per year, per project, for 5 years.
- All projects awarded will require a formal contract with Efficiency Maine.
- Review the Program Opportunity Notice (application guidelines, award criteria, and limitations).
- Call 1-866-376-2463 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Click here for a list of battery vendors who are available to help customers participate in this program. Please email us if you are a battery vendor who would like to be listed.